Tuesday 11 July 2017

Nomadic

Day 1 - our heroine sets out upon her journey.

I'm away from home on an extended road trip. Over the next 4 weeks I shall be travelling through England and Wales, staying with friends and family, but also guest houses, hotels and self-catering. I am particularly excited at the prospect of 3 nights at the Gladstone Library in Hawarden, 3 nights in the bookish town of Hay on Wye and 5 nights at the Writers’ Holiday in Fishguard.

Journeys are a traditional starting point for a story. Take for example Homer’s epic Odyssey, Biblical tales such as Jonah and the Whale, Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, television series such as Star Trek. 

The hero’s journey is of course one of the original story plots - the ultimate narrative archetype, some would call it. In the classic structure the hero is called to adventure. Things happen, he faces challenges, overcomes obstacles and returns changed by the experience.

I'm hoping there won't be too many obstacles on my journey. Or monsters. But I am looking forward to reconnecting with some of the wonderful people who have been a part of my life and to meeting some new people. And along the way I hope to find time and inspiration to write.

Now if you'll excuse me, I really must go. Adventure calls.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go girl! Have fun, make friends and we'll hear from you soon I hope...

    ReplyDelete