Thursday 2 July 2015

Bea Yearning

There is much to be said for being happy: comfortable with oneself; accepting of our position; content with our achievements. Yet this same state of self-satisfaction has a negative connotation. It can stifle creativity. Why settle for what we have when we can strive for better?

It certainly applies to me and my writing. For any writer we are only as good as our last story, book or article. We have to move on to the next project or we become a one-hit wonder. Only a few can afford to rest on their laurels: consider Harper Lee (To Kill a Mockingbird), JD Salinger (The Catcher in the Rye) and Emily Bronte (Wuthering Heights).

For the rest of us, we keep on writing, keep on creating, keep on keeping on. But what if I were to write a story tomorrow that met with great critical acclaim and the movie rights were sold for some obscene amount? Would I stop there? I think not, for the desire to write is not something that can be switched off at the sight of a healthy bank balance or a prestigious award.

Having said that, I would be very happy to sell my writing for big money. So I had better get on with creating and stop wittering about it. Better earning than yearning.

No comments:

Post a Comment